Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday fun day.

After a brilliant week of sailing, the weather went to shit, then my health quickly followed, so in short I've not been on the water for two weeks. As some of my people fled Maui for adventures in France & Namotu, I awoke early and laid in bed listening to Radio 1's Big Weekend and sipping tea. What to do, what to do?

What won the vote was a SUP sesh on the south side. At 7:30am there was only one person who could possibly be there already to give me an accurate report, so I sent a text to zeeeee German (aka Melanie) as I left the house.

Remember Melanie? She's one of the two fabby women I went to Ireland with last year.

Her return call made me U turn at the bottom of Haleakala Highway and head back home..........to change to my bigger 10ft board. Within the space of 45 minutes I'd signed up for the Olukai three mile downwinder, looked like a complete twat doing jumping jack warm ups, said 'hello' to a bunch of friends I'd not seen in ages and.......

........looked up at a helicopter dumping petals in the water. Bloody hell, not too shabby for an impromptu Saturday morning.

Post paddle our day flowed effortlessly as we bungeed our boards and I dropped Melanie off for a coffee.

Here! 'Here' turned out to be our vertically challenged friend Big Mike's new pad and we weren't the only visitors, he's quite the popular chap with his new digs.

I raced home, downed (in a very unlady like fashion) a cup of green tea and loaded up my windsurf gear. Drat and double drat, foiled again Batman-the bouys for the main 1pm Olukai race were right at lowers where I love to sail. Nothing to be done but wait it out until all the competitors crossed the line.

I love this shot, we all do it, just randomly dump our footwear and hope it will be there (or in my case that I remember it) upon our return.

The board room.

The games room.

Text reads: "Brah, I like pau in 20, bring da beer".

I paddled, I sailed, I conquered and as I happily drove back up the hill for the third time that day, my shuffle brought up this great song that seemed to match my warm and fuzzy feel, so I cranked it.

5 comments:

Leedslass said...

For once you've made me short of words as it's all about things I know nothing of! However, I have a caption for your first picture "cruising down the river on a Sunday afternoon" - terrific outfit for a minute beck/stream/river. A little overdressed for the occasion however.

Leedslass said...

I know we've talked on a daily basis but please do something about your chesty cough!

Thank you for being in touch with me, it's made up for not having a hand to hold xx

Anonymous said...

Great post, Sharon!
I love the pic of you and Mel together! And where did you find that video of "In The Summertime?" One of the greatest and most memorable songs of the 70's! I sing that song to myself at least twice a month!
BTW, for the first time ever, my vacay time and Lano's will be coinciding. I'm looking forward to a big Flatbread party, already scheduled by Lano!
Ely

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

After seeing that video of Summertime, Im going straight out to buy a mesh t-shirt and grow me some lamb chops


Have you booked flat bread yet?