Saturday, December 19, 2009

Nature's way.

My SUP skills and the bigger surf that I'm not used to at Kanaha are mostly a mismatch. I flounder on the shoulder trying not to get in peoples way, paddling like mad for any old slop that peels off the main break. It's good for my balance but not for wave selection, turning practice or (lets face it) my ego. For Christmas I'd like a big pair of hairy balls, because without them I'm never going to venture into the line up and learn what I need to or perhaps, (here and there) show myself that I'm not as bad as I think.

Back on land I took solace and a little time for reflection with an good cup of coffee in Makawao. I've lived here since arriving on Maui 20 years ago and am genuinely fond of this one horse town, which has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Fueled by caffeine I jumped on my beautiful bike and tootled around the neighborhood enjoying the open spaces (be they fenced in) and solitude of Upcountry.

Ahhhhhh glorious nature, she never fails to put my head back on straight.

Yesterday, I walked past a lei making class and wished that the blogosphere had a scratch and sniff application, as the wafting fragrance of the plumeria was heady and calming. I shall recall it next time I'm out on the water to thwart any advances of my old friend frustration, should he choose to call. That and I'll remember that it's not a pair of big hairy balls I need (be careful what you wish for), but as Gandhi said "nearly everything you do is of no importance, but it is important that you do it".

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Sharon! Big hairy balls are just what they are. However, there is other paraphernalia needed to render them utilitarian. As for that, for you, I think it's best to just think about borrowing the whole kit on "as needed" basis.

Ely

Meesh said...

You've got big, I'm doubting hairy, boobs, so I reckon you're doing pretty well as is ;)

Sharon said...

Thank you both for the sage advise and reminder of my own wothy attributes!

Sharon said...

ooopppss ....I meant 'worthy'.

Anonymous said...

OMG Sharon, Father Christmas hadn't a clue you wanted BHBs otherwise he'd have tried to put them into a shoebox and post them from England. After what you've achieved in your life I reckon you've got more balls than most!

I can almost smell those plumeria leis here in Roundhay - they (almost) make me forget it's snowing heavens high outside.

Mater x

P.S. to quote the song "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" over here with the snow and ice all around.

Anonymous said...

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that post, Michelle! Or, as they say in cyberspace, IAFOMCL!!! HAHAHA!!!

Ely

Lano said...

Ely you missed out on an 'o'

The cross roads at Makawao is also a place you need big hairy balls, or just a big hairy truck - its a difficult place for a predominantly left hand driving person like me!

Where is a good place for coffee in Makawao?

Sharon said...

Mater: Last time I checked M&S didn't sell BHB, so you're off the hook on that one.

Ely: Wow-you don't see that acronym everyday, what the hell does it mean?

Lano: Casanova's Cafe serve a good cuppa caffeine and if you have Joel making it for you, it comes with a frothy heart on top :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think the outdoor cafe down the street (next to the art gallery) is selling the coffee that my friend from Olinda produces. It's wonderful, and the only coffee I drink here in NYC. It's called Maui Mountain Home Grown-Volcano Roast. Give it a try next time you're up there.

Ely

Garage Renovation Allentown said...

Great post thankkyou