Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day.

Blue skies, smiling at me nothing but blue skies do I see.

It all looks so lovely, until I reveal that the perfect lush green bits are part of the new golf course being built in Wailea (clearly I'm not a golfer!). Still it could be worse, littered in condo's and ABC stores, choking off the view for the rest of us to enjoy.

At the end of Thompson Road is a nursery and as I rode by, the bold contrast of these three colors struck me as snapshot worthy. As was the bleating goat at the beach yesterday, but that one came out blurred.

Nuff said.

At 28 cents per kwh Hawaii's electricity is the most expensive in the country. Last months bill of $200 threw me over the edge and I stepped back in time, finally installing a washing line. The clothes pegging skills from my youth came flooding back and it was a pleasure to hang up my stuff and walk away for the day. Full of self congratulation, hours later as I unpegged my laundry, I discovered one minor disadvantage....a bird had seen fit to shit on my skirt!

And finally, on my drive back up Baldwin Avenue I stopped by the Maui Veterans cemetery.....it seemed like the right thing to do. Combatants from as far back as World War One are buried here and I quietly walked around looking at names, dates and rank. I watched wives pushing zimmer frames accompanied by daughters come and go with flowers and white haired old men talking story. All of a sudden the backs of my eyes became damp and I had a moment, which I guess is what today is all about.

PS: It's been at least a year since I've been out on my long board and boy oh boy could you tell! In honor of Memorial Day, ready, aim, fire!

6 comments:

Leedslass said...

Hope in the last picture the ammunition didn't find its target!

What a delightful trio of flowering trees - lucky you to spot them :-)

Sharon said...

Mater: The digital amo was dead on....but I'll live to shoot another day.

Leedslass said...

Phew! I can rest peacefully in my bed :-)

Mchumbie said...

Is there any other way to dry clothes in Maui?? I thought it was only our seagulls that did things like that - still, worth it in the long run.

Leedslass said...

I've bigified your laundry picture and note that one article requires SIX clothes pegs (right hand side line towards the fence). Could you not bear to leave unused clothes pegs in the bag or is it some treasured item that, under no circumstances, must be allowed to fall to the floor?

Intrigued Mater x

Leedslass said...

I know you told me they're socks - but still not clear to me!