Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Switzerland.

The traditional architecture in buildings that I saw all had proportionally small windows. I asked Renata about this and she explained that one way to preserve heat in the winter was to build structures with very think walls and small windows. The downside being the interiors were dark, which is why the bays are splayed out in order to reflect the maximum about of light into the room. It also explains why most of the structures are cream/white to cast back as much illumination as possible.

Of course most of the buildings have been modernized for todays living standards, but I couldn't get enough of the beautiful windows all lovingly tended for by their occupants.















1 comment:

Leedslass said...

Those are beautiful and well spotted to make a window blog:-)
Although I love the window boxes, I can't help but think they are blocking out light inside whilst looking lovely from the outside.